Managed to source the Zetec SE > Type 9 bellhousing and clutch fork and also got hold of a 215mm Pinto clutch, I already has the release bearing so drive line should all bolt together now.
Second on the list, and quite difficult to find, was a low profile, rear water manifold that will help get the engine 100mm back in the engine bay. Thanks to Shawspeed for sourcing the bellhousing etc. and the water manifold.
I also managed to get hold of a Polo radiator for £26 delivered, bit of a bargain. Other items that I have had delivered included a set of door locks and internal rods, a set of front indicator shells, a set of Peugeot 205GTI 14" Pepperpot alloys, the correct track rod ends, the Caprisport GTR260 and rear disc conversion brackets, a gear stick, a wiper motor and a matching Sabelt harness to the one I already have. In addition the previous owner called to let me know he had an additional box of bits and a missing front window, this had the original boot lock so I now have a matching set of locks, a few bits of trim and most of all an Escort Mk2 pedal box that the bulkhead had been modified for.
I had planned to get the car out on the drive and up ion stands so that i could clean, prep and paint the underneath, but the week I had off work to do this had a variable weather forecast so I changed tack and worked on just the front end in the garage whilst cleaning, prepping and painting a load of other parts ready to go back on. Thankfully all I found was some surface rust and the underseal came of fairly easily.
The underneath of the wings up to the bulkhead/front jacking point were wire brushed, cleaned with petrol, washed with POR15 Marine Clean, washed in clean water, treated with POR15 Metal Prep and cleaned again in clean water. The plan is to leave then to fully dry out over the next week and then paint with KBS Rust Seal paint (off white).
I also gave the brakes, pedal box, cross member and various brackets a coat(s) of paint once I had sourced some Hammerite Dark Blue paint (now discontinued but a great match to the Anchor Blue roof/roll bar). i also touched up the anti roll bar and steering rack with Hammerite black sating paint. Pictures of the painted parts are in the Images section.
So on the planning front there has been quite a bit of activity.
1) The engine has been dropped of to a local machine shop to have the spigot bearing cavity enlarged from 17mm to 22mm to take the standard Type 9 / pinto spigot bearing. the 1.7 Puma engine is the only one I can find in the Ford Catalog that is this size !
2) The front uprights have been dropped off to a local machine shop to have the wheel flanges reduced (132mm IIRC) to fit the RS Turbo Escort discs, the original disc lugs removed and the caliper mounting holes clearanced out.
3) I think I have found a company to make the sump from sheet steel (easier than modifying the ally sump) and have sent some initial drawings based on the second engine fit for quotation.
4) I have a couple of quotes back to water jet cut the inlet adaptor, still waiting for a couple more (I have cad this up in Autocad)
5) I have found a guy who can make a bespoke fuel tank, radiator header tank, oil catch tank and washer bottle all at a very reasonable price.
6) I an 90% sure that I am going to go with Emerald for the ECU and have a source for them.
7) I have found a place that can make carpets to a paper/card template.