The big headline, after much angst, is that the engine has finally been started and runs OK. I spent quite a bit of time working out why things were not working only to discover that the pins on the ECU loom plug were not connecting to the ECU pins. A fairly simple fix, removed the pins from the plug, gave then a squeeze with a pair of pliers, replaced them and all connections seem to be OK. Once done, the ECU saw the crank sensor, power was supplied to the coil pack and sparks were present, fuel pump primes, air and coolant temperature were registering and the throttle position sensor was calibrated OK. First turn of the key was encouraging with the engine trying to fire but no joy, swapped the wires around on the crank sensor and next turn of the key she fired up. It ran for a few seconds OK once the throttle bodies were opened up slightly (idle screw) but that was all as there is no coolant in the system. Big result. Once all plumed in I need to check the cam position sensor output and VCT valve operation before starting to do some rudimentary tuning. A big thank you to various car online forum gurus that led me through all of the issues I have had.
Whilst all this has been going on I have finished preparing the trim for painting so will get quote for that. So, there is light at the end of the tunnel and I can start to see the whole project coming together in the next four or five months, just in time for the Ace Cafe gathering in July.