Next job on the list was to prepare all of the trim and various brackets for painting, the reason for painting is that I think it will look slightly more modern and also the chrome was badly pitted on most parts so needed sorting out. I was hoping to have a local bodyshop do this but they would not touch the prep and painting of the chrome as they could not guarantee the longevity of the finish. Plan B was for me to prep and paint, pretty painful job but needs must ! So out came the angle grinder, flapper/sanding wheel and wire brush wheel and off I went followed by filling the badly pitted areas and then sanding down to accept painting.
The next part of the process was aided by a kind donation of a compressor which I added a regulator, a cheap spray gun and some high build primer and Ford Ermine White cellulose paint. I then converted an old gazebo into a spray booth and set to work. Although not perfect the results are OK and will do until I have time to make perfect. So the bumpers (and brackets), grill, front and rear lights, side window frames, seat brackets, door and boot handles and all chrome trim is now Ermine White and will be fitted in a couple of weeks when it has fully gone off and I have taken out another mortgage to cover the cost of the various gaskets and clips that I need.
A couple of other small jobs completed have included: getting quotes for a carpet set which will need to be modified from a standard set because of the tunnel, bulkhead and rear suspension mods and I have also drawn up and got a quote for clamps to hold the trumpets on the throttle bodies, will need to order them soon.
So, with the engine run at least once, all of the wiring and plumbing in place and hopefully in a months time all of the trim and doors done I can start to see the end of the tunnel.