To fit the gearbox to the engine a guy on ebay/turbosports makes adapter plates (freddy686868) which I ordered and it came pretty quickly. The gearbox needed a couple of modifications, the area where the starter motor mounts needed grinding out to fir and when I trial fitted the box in the car the left rear mount needed removing as it fowled the type 9 gearbox mounts that are on the car (not a standard fixture). teh RX8 box is a hydraulic clutch system (external not concentric slave) which I am hoping to adapt to use my cable clutch, initial measurements and mock up looks promising. Just need to make up a rear mount which I think I can use the Cortina one form the type 9 .
Whilst I was at it I also took the opportunity to tidy up the rear water manifold, getting rid of my home made affair and fitting in line water temp sender adapters, I also decided to keep the the cam belt cover which meant modifying the front engine mount to tidy it it. I also re-routed some of the coolant pipes. So, currently the engine and gearbox are in, they need fully bolting together, a rear mount needs making (temporary on on there at the moment) and then I can get the prop shaft ordered.